The ByWard Family Health Team (BWFHT) offers individual counselling in nutrition by a registered Dietitian. Registered dietitians are health care professionals who are trained to provide advice and counselling about diet, food and nutrition. Our dietitian can help you make healthy food choices by separating fact from fiction and distinguishing healthy eating plans from those that don’t provide optimal nourishment.
Ontario residents can call Telehealth Ontario toll-free at 1-866-797-0000 to speak to a dietitian for free, evidence-based nutrition and healthy eating information.
- Comprehensive initial assessment
- Regular meetings with the Diabetes Nurse Practitioner for ongoing care and support
- Review of recent lab tests
- Start and adjustment of medication as needed
- Assessment of your risk for heart attack, stroke, peripheral vascular disease, renal function, mental and sexual health
- Advice and discussion about food choice, exercise, smoking, etc.
- Ongoing communication and collaboration with your family physician
This service is offered to Ontarian patients who are enrolled with a BWFHT family physician. To access our dietitian services, you can either ask your physician or healthcare professional at Health Services for a referral or self-refer by calling 613-564-3950 ext 477. There is no fee for this service.
- Imavi – The only multidisciplinary clinic in Outaouais specialized in issues related to body image and diet and offering high quality services in mental health.
Weight loss clinics
- Bernstein clinic
- Dr. Douglas Bishop Weight Management
- Leaf Weight Management Clinic
- Ottawa Hospital Weight Management Clinic (WMC) – Medical Program
- Ottawa Hospital Weight Management Clinic (WMC) – Surgical Program
- The Obesity Code, by Jason Fung MD
- When Food is Love, by Geneen Roth
- Break Free from Emotional Eating, by Geneen Roth
- Intuitive Eating, by Elyse Resch and Evelyn Tribole
- Cronometer – Calorie and nutrition tracker for diet management
- Lose It! – Calorie counter – Calorie, weight and exercise counter
- Calorie Counter – MyFitnessPal – Calorie, weight and exercise tracker
- Dietitians of Canada has 2 apps, Cookspiration is a database of healthy recipes, and eaTracker.ca allows you to set food goals for healthy eating and track them
- Intermitten Fasting
- Diet Doctor
- Unlock Food or contact the toll free number 1-877-510-5102 to connect with RD for nutrition questions and healthy eating
- Health Canada – Canada’s Food Guide
- Health Canada – Reading Food Labels
- Health Promotion student recipe picks and campus resources
- Dietitians of Canada
- The Mediterranean Diet
- Ottawa Hospital – Cooking 101