The ByWard Family Health Team (BWFHT) offers individual counselling in nutrition by a registered Dietitian. Registered dietitians are health care professionals who are trained to provide advice and counselling about diet, food and nutrition. Our dietitian can help you make healthy food choices by separating fact from fiction and distinguishing healthy eating plans from those that don’t provide optimal nourishment.
What to Expect
- Comprehensive initial assessment
- Regular meetings with the Diabetes Nurse Practitioner for ongoing care and support
- Review of recent lab tests
- Start and adjustment of medication as needed
- Assessment of your risk for heart attack, stroke, peripheral vascular disease, renal function, mental and sexual health
- Advice and discussion about food choice, exercise, smoking, etc.
- Ongoing communication and collaboration with your family physician
How to Access
This service is offered to Ontarian patients who are enrolled with a BWFHT family physician. To access our dietitian services, you can either ask your physician or healthcare professional at Health Services for a referral or self-refer by calling 613-564-3950 ext 320. There is no fee for this service.
- Unlock Food or contact the toll free number 1-877-510-5102 to connect with RD for nutrition questions and healthy eating
- Health Canada – Canada’s Food Guide
- Health Canada – Reading Food Labels
- Health Promotion student recipe picks and campus resources
- Dietitians of Canada
- Heart and Stroke Foundation